HONG KONG - Thousands of pro-democracy protesters thronged the rain-soaked streets of Hong Kong early on Wednesday, ratcheting up pressure on the pro-Beijing government that has called the action illegal and vowed to press ahead with National Day celebrations. | Video
BAGHDAD - At least 35 people were killed in a wave of car bomb and mortar attacks in mainly Shi'ite Muslim districts of Baghdad on Tuesday, Iraqi police and medical sources said.
"We have not abandoned Alan," says the wife of British hostage, Alan Henning, who renewed appeals to Islamic State to spare his life. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
Clothing retailer Next says the UK has had unseasonably warm weather, with implications for earnings. Shares across the sector fall, but investors may be venting other fears, says Reuters Breakingviews. Video
- Arsenal must now beat Galatasaray, says Cazorla
- UK economy picks up in second quarter, recovery pace revised higher
- UK house prices fall for first time in 17 months - Nationwide
- Lightning, rain fail to deter resolute Hong Kong protesters |
- Kurds seize Iraq/Syria border post; Sunni tribe joins fight against Islamic State |