WASHINGTON/CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts - Scientists say they have for the first time detected gravitational waves, ripples in space and time hypothesised by physicist Albert Einstein a century ago, in a landmark discovery that opens a new window for studying the cosmos.
TOKYO Asian shares slid on Friday as mounting concerns about the health of European banks further threatened a global economic outlook already under strain from falling oil prices and slowdown in China and other emerging markets.
SEOUL - From building statues and training police in Africa to trading with India and Thailand, North Korea is managing to maintain business ties and friendly diplomatic relations with a dwindling number of Cold War-era friends. Video | Full Article
A battle between rival drug gangs at a prison in the northeastern Mexican city of Monterrey has left 52 people dead, days ahead of a planned visit by Pope Francis to another Mexican jail. Gavino Garay reports.
Sectarian tensions are rising in Nigeria's Muslim north, where hundreds of Shi'ites were killed in clashes with the army in the town of Zaria in December, according to Shi'ites and rights groups. Full Article | Slideshow
- North Korea executes army chief of staff: South Korean media
- Sparrow defies nature and joins Japanese family |
- Venezuela proposes OPEC, non-OPEC producers "freeze" oil supply
- Einstein's gravitational waves detected in landmark discovery |
- Global shares, bond yields plunge on fears for banks and global growth |