WASHINGTON/CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts - Scientists say they have for the first time detected gravitational waves, ripples in space and time hypothesised by physicist Albert Einstein a century ago, in a landmark discovery that opens a new window for studying the cosmos.
MUNICH - Major powers agreed on Friday to a cessation of hostilities in Syria set to begin in a week and to provide rapid humanitarian access to besieged Syrian towns, but failed to secure a complete ceasefire or an end to Russian bombing.
SEOUL - From building statues and training police in Africa to trading with India and Thailand, North Korea is managing to maintain business ties and friendly diplomatic relations with a dwindling number of Cold War-era friends. Video | Full Article
A battle between rival drug gangs at a prison in the northeastern Mexican city of Monterrey has left 52 people dead, days ahead of a planned visit by Pope Francis to another Mexican jail. Gavino Garay reports.
Sectarian tensions are rising in Nigeria's Muslim north, where hundreds of Shi'ites were killed in clashes with the army in the town of Zaria in December, according to Shi'ites and rights groups. Full Article | Slideshow
- North Korea executes army chief of staff: South Korean media
- Sparrow defies nature and joins Japanese family |
- Venezuela proposes OPEC, non-OPEC producers "freeze" oil supply
- S&P cuts Deutsche Bank's Tier 1 securities rating to B+ from BB-
- Einstein's gravitational waves detected in landmark discovery |