Nationalist leader Alex Salmond says he is to resign after Scots spurn independence in a historic referendum that threatened to rip the United Kingdom apart, sow financial turmoil and diminish Britain’s remaining global clout. Full Article | Video
BAGHDAD/PARIS - French jets struck a suspected Islamic State target in Iraq for the first time on Friday, expanding a U.S.-led military campaign against militants who have seized a third of the country and also control large parts of neighbouring Syria. | Video
- Alibaba surges 38 percent on massive demand in market debut |
- Syria militants kill captive Lebanese soldier, bomb kills two
- Russia critical of MH17 inquiry, wants bigger U.N. role
- Insight - Campaign donations highlight winners, losers in Brazil election
- Kurdish leader urges world to protect Syrian town from Islamic State |
LONDON - The Bank of England's 375 billion pounds of stimulus pumped into Britain's financial system did not boost bank lending, research from the central bank showed on Friday, although it helped turn the economy round in other ways.
FREETOWN - Streets in the capital of Sierra Leone were deserted on Friday as the West African state began a contested, three-day lockdown in a bid to halt the worst Ebola outbreak on record.
PARIS - Nicolas Sarkozy announced his political comeback on Friday, saying he would seek the leadership of France's main rightist party, opening the way for a possible return to the Elysee Palace in 2017 elections.
WARSAW - Ukraine, Poland and Lithuania launched a joint military force on Friday that Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski said could start its first exercises in the tense region in the next year.
An Egyptian man said on Friday he would plead guilty in New York to charges connected with the deadly 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. Nathan Frandino reports.
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |
- Scots independence polls close, UK's future in the balance |
- China hands drugmaker GSK record $489 million fine for paying bribes
- Austrian leader says Putin sees progress in Ukraine crisis