Soccer-Two men jailed for killing Milan player's brother
TBILISI, March 6
TBILISI, March 6 (Reuters) - A Georgian court sentenced two men on Tuesday to a total of 30 years in jail for the kidnap and murder of Levan Kaladze, the younger brother of AC Milan defender Kakha Kaladze.
"The judge made a fair decision," prosecutor Kakha Tsnobiladze told reporters after the court sitting.
David Asatiani, who had been extradited to Georgia from Switzerland in November, was sentenced to 25 years, and Merab Amisulashvili to five.
Asatiani's lawyer said he planned to appeal the court decision.
Two other men were arrested last year in Russia and France in connection with the murder. No decision has yet been made on their extradition to Georgia.
Levan Kaladze was kidnapped in Tbilisi in May 2001 by gunmen in police uniform on his way home from medical school.
His captors demanded a ransom, which local media said his family paid.
His body was found in the suburbs of the capital last year and identified after tests in the United States by FBI experts.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin admits Russian forces were deployed to Crimea
- South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew as rescue hampered by tides |
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Search for Malaysia jet refocuses on drone scans of sea floor
- Singer Chris Brown's bodyguard on trial for assault