Soccer-Turkey salvage 2-2 draw against Norway
FRANKFURT, March 28
FRANKFURT, March 28 (Reuters) - A late double strike from Hamit Altintop, aided by goalkeeping fumbles, earned Turkey a 2-2 draw against Norway in their Euro 2008 Group C qualifier on Wednesday.
Simen Brenne gave Norway a surprise lead after 31 minutes when he picked up a lobbed ball in the area and guide it past Turkish goalkeeper Volkan Demirel. Martin Andresen doubled their lead in the 40th minute with a shot into the left-hand corner.
Hamit pulled one back in the 72nd minute when he drove in a powerful free kick straight at goalkeeper Thomas Myhre, who failed to hold the ball.
In the 89th minute Hamit repeated the feat, firing in a free kick from the left which ran through Myhre's legs into the net.
The result kept Turkey at the top of Group C on 13 points, one ahead of European champions Greece.
The match was played behind closed doors on neutral territory in Frankfurt under a FIFA punishment imposed after a brawl at a Turkish World Cup qualifier against Switzerland in 2005.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles quarterfinals results
- Pope Good Friday service underscores plight of the suffering
- Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide |
- Special Report - How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Bodies found trapped inside sunken South Korean ferry - coastguard |