Soccer-Late Cardozo goal gives Paraguay 1-0 win over Mexico
MEXICO CITY, June 6
MEXICO CITY, June 6 (Reuters) - Substitute striker Oscar Cardozo scored one minute from time to give Paraguay a 1-0 win over Mexico in a friendly international at the Azteca Stadium.
Another substitute, Chicago Fire-bound Mexican Cuauhtemoc Blanco, had the home side's best chance in Tuesday night's match but his volley from Alberto Medina's cross hit the post in the 53rd minute.
In the dying minutes Paraguay launched a counter-attack through defender Nelson Cuevas, whose through pass reached Cardozo for the match-winning goal.
Mexico were leaving for the U.S. on Wednesday to take part in the Concacaf Gold Cup until June 24, making their debut against Cuba on Friday.
They then go on to Venezuela for the June 26-July 15 Copa America in which Paraguay are also taking part.
(Writing by Rex Gowar in London)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Judge rejects strict limits on U.S. nurse who treated Ebola patients |
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles quarterfinal results