Soccer-Late Cardozo goal gives Paraguay 1-0 win over Mexico
MEXICO CITY, June 6
MEXICO CITY, June 6 (Reuters) - Substitute striker Oscar Cardozo scored one minute from time to give Paraguay a 1-0 win over Mexico in a friendly international at the Azteca Stadium.
Another substitute, Chicago Fire-bound Mexican Cuauhtemoc Blanco, had the home side's best chance in Tuesday night's match but his volley from Alberto Medina's cross hit the post in the 53rd minute.
In the dying minutes Paraguay launched a counter-attack through defender Nelson Cuevas, whose through pass reached Cardozo for the match-winning goal.
Mexico were leaving for the U.S. on Wednesday to take part in the Concacaf Gold Cup until June 24, making their debut against Cuba on Friday.
They then go on to Venezuela for the June 26-July 15 Copa America in which Paraguay are also taking part.
(Writing by Rex Gowar in London)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Dementia epidemic looms with 135 million sufferers seen by 2050
- UK major threw laptop with sensitive Iraq photos from ferry
- Exclusive: Son of former Chinese security chief helping with graft probe - sources
- Cyber experts uncover 2 million stolen passwords to global Web accounts
- Wenger hails Bendtner impact