Soccer-Late Cardozo goal gives Paraguay 1-0 win over Mexico
MEXICO CITY, June 6
MEXICO CITY, June 6 (Reuters) - Substitute striker Oscar Cardozo scored one minute from time to give Paraguay a 1-0 win over Mexico in a friendly international at the Azteca Stadium.
Another substitute, Chicago Fire-bound Mexican Cuauhtemoc Blanco, had the home side's best chance in Tuesday night's match but his volley from Alberto Medina's cross hit the post in the 53rd minute.
In the dying minutes Paraguay launched a counter-attack through defender Nelson Cuevas, whose through pass reached Cardozo for the match-winning goal.
Mexico were leaving for the U.S. on Wednesday to take part in the Concacaf Gold Cup until June 24, making their debut against Cuba on Friday.
They then go on to Venezuela for the June 26-July 15 Copa America in which Paraguay are also taking part.
(Writing by Rex Gowar in London)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll