Sharapova to play in Birmingham Classic
LONDON (Reuters) - World number two Maria Sharapova will play at next week's Birmingham Classic after accepting a wildcard for the Wimbledon warm-up event, the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) said on Friday.
The 20-year-old Russian, who was beaten in the French Open semi-finals by Serb Ana Ivanovic on Thursday, won the grasscourt event in Birmingham in 2004 -- the same year she won Wimbledon -- and 2005.
The other beaten Roland Garros semi-finalist, Jelena Jankovic of Serbia, will also play in Birmingham.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- North Korea says leader Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle executed |
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- Ex-Kaupthing bankers convicted of abuses related to Qatari investment
- 'Unfit' defendant in British phone-hacking case dropped from trial
- UK economy set for fastest growth in seven years in 2014 - BCC