Sharapova to play in Birmingham Classic
LONDON (Reuters) - World number two Maria Sharapova will play at next week's Birmingham Classic after accepting a wildcard for the Wimbledon warm-up event, the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) said on Friday.
The 20-year-old Russian, who was beaten in the French Open semi-finals by Serb Ana Ivanovic on Thursday, won the grasscourt event in Birmingham in 2004 -- the same year she won Wimbledon -- and 2005.
The other beaten Roland Garros semi-finalist, Jelena Jankovic of Serbia, will also play in Birmingham.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola outbreak
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- Russia, Germany up diplomatic battle over Ukraine sanctions