Sharapova to play in Birmingham Classic
LONDON (Reuters) - World number two Maria Sharapova will play at next week's Birmingham Classic after accepting a wildcard for the Wimbledon warm-up event, the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) said on Friday.
The 20-year-old Russian, who was beaten in the French Open semi-finals by Serb Ana Ivanovic on Thursday, won the grasscourt event in Birmingham in 2004 -- the same year she won Wimbledon -- and 2005.
The other beaten Roland Garros semi-finalist, Jelena Jankovic of Serbia, will also play in Birmingham.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin admits Russian forces were deployed to Crimea
- South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew as rescue hampered by tides |
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Search for Malaysia jet refocuses on drone scans of sea floor
- Singer Chris Brown's bodyguard on trial for assault