Sharapova to play in Birmingham Classic
LONDON (Reuters) - World number two Maria Sharapova will play at next week's Birmingham Classic after accepting a wildcard for the Wimbledon warm-up event, the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) said on Friday.
The 20-year-old Russian, who was beaten in the French Open semi-finals by Serb Ana Ivanovic on Thursday, won the grasscourt event in Birmingham in 2004 -- the same year she won Wimbledon -- and 2005.
The other beaten Roland Garros semi-finalist, Jelena Jankovic of Serbia, will also play in Birmingham.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Low-carb diets may beat low-fat options for weight loss, heart health
- Manchester United top deadline-day big spenders
- Europe drafts emergency energy plan with eye on Russia gas shut-down