Sharapova to play in Birmingham Classic
LONDON (Reuters) - World number two Maria Sharapova will play at next week's Birmingham Classic after accepting a wildcard for the Wimbledon warm-up event, the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) said on Friday.
The 20-year-old Russian, who was beaten in the French Open semi-finals by Serb Ana Ivanovic on Thursday, won the grasscourt event in Birmingham in 2004 -- the same year she won Wimbledon -- and 2005.
The other beaten Roland Garros semi-finalist, Jelena Jankovic of Serbia, will also play in Birmingham.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia Airlines denies crash report, says plane still missing |
- UPDATE 3-Boeing reports wing cracks on 787 Dreamliners in production
- UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Ukraine standoff intensifies; Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |