Tennis-Zvonareva to miss Wimbledon
EASTBOURNE, England, June 18
EASTBOURNE, England, June 18 (Reuters) - World number 19 Vera Zvonareva has pulled out of next week's Wimbledon championships after failing to recover from a wrist injury, organisers said on Monday.
The Russian, who also missed the French Open because of the injury, will be replaced in the Wimbledon draw by Canadian Aleksandra Wozniak.
American sisters Venus and Serena Williams have been given a late wildcard into the doubles draw at the grasscourt grand slam event after Britain's Amanda Elliott and Katie O'Brien withdrew due to a wrist injury suffered by Elliott.
The Williams sisters won the Wimbledon doubles title in 2000 and 2002.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scots independence polls close, UK's future in the balance |
- Factbox - Scotland's independence vote: How will the results come?
- Scots vote in record numbers, await independence verdict |
- Support for Scottish independence at 46 percent - YouGov poll
- Microsoft lays off 2,100, axes Silicon Valley research