UPDATE 1-Tennis-France leave out Bartoli for Fed Cup semi-final
(Updates with Bartoli reaching Wimbledon semi-finals)
PARIS, July 4 (Reuters) - France Fed Cup captain Georges Goven has left out Marion Bartoli from his team to face holders Italy in the semi-finals later this month.
Goven picked Amelie Mauresmo, who lost her Wimbledon crown when she was beaten by Nicole Vaidisova on Tuesday, as well as Tatiana Golovin, Nathalie Dechy and Severine Bremond.
France number two Bartoli has reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon this week but Goven turned down her request to be accompanied by her father and coach, Walter.
"I wanted to call up Marion Bartoli but it was not possible because she is tired after playing a lot of tournaments and also because the conditions for her to play for France are not met," Goven said in a statement on Wednesday.
"Her father told me she was not ready to play for France without him being there. It's a pity."
Italian captain Corrado Barazzutti has called up Tathiana Garbin, Mara Santangelo, Francesca Schiavone and Roberta Vinci for the tie at Castellaneta Marina on July 14 and 15, leaving out Flavia Pennetta.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Attack on parliament, killing of soldier stun Canada's capital |
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin red group results
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients