Williams sisters pull out of doubles
LONDON (Reuters) - Former champions Venus and Serena Williams pulled out of the women's doubles at Wimbledon on Wednesday.
"I just withdrew from the doubles," an injured Serena said after being beaten 6-4 3-6 6-3 by Justine Henin in the quarter-finals.
"I've sprained my thumb and can't really hit backhands."
The duo had been scheduled to play Spanish eighth seeds Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual in the second round.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Australia Union wanted to rip up Beale contract - chairman
- Army officer takes charge in Burkina Faso, ousting general |