Williams sisters pull out of doubles
LONDON (Reuters) - Former champions Venus and Serena Williams pulled out of the women's doubles at Wimbledon on Wednesday.
"I just withdrew from the doubles," an injured Serena said after being beaten 6-4 3-6 6-3 by Justine Henin in the quarter-finals.
"I've sprained my thumb and can't really hit backhands."
The duo had been scheduled to play Spanish eighth seeds Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual in the second round.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-U.S. Open women's singles round 4 results
- Polls say Scotland will spurn independence, but are they right?
- Putin calls for talks on east Ukraine 'statehood'; rebels fire on ship |
- Zimbabwe prove potential with shock win over Australia
- Israel claims West Bank land for possible settlement use, draws U.S. rebuke