Williams sisters pull out of doubles
LONDON (Reuters) - Former champions Venus and Serena Williams pulled out of the women's doubles at Wimbledon on Wednesday.
"I just withdrew from the doubles," an injured Serena said after being beaten 6-4 3-6 6-3 by Justine Henin in the quarter-finals.
"I've sprained my thumb and can't really hit backhands."
The duo had been scheduled to play Spanish eighth seeds Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual in the second round.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people |
- UPDATE 3-Boeing reports wing cracks on 787 Dreamliners in production
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- As Ukraine crisis deepens, Russia's neighbours boost defences
- Ukraine standoff intensifies; Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |