Williams sisters pull out of doubles
LONDON (Reuters) - Former champions Venus and Serena Williams pulled out of the women's doubles at Wimbledon on Wednesday.
"I just withdrew from the doubles," an injured Serena said after being beaten 6-4 3-6 6-3 by Justine Henin in the quarter-finals.
"I've sprained my thumb and can't really hit backhands."
The duo had been scheduled to play Spanish eighth seeds Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual in the second round.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel intensifies Gaza assault, Egyptians revise truce plan |
- Special Report - Where Ukraine's separatists get their weapons
- Analysis - Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine
- Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola outbreak
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |