Soccer-Copa-Chile draw 0-0 with Mexico to seal quarters berth
PUERTO LA CRUZ, Venezuela, July 4
PUERTO LA CRUZ, Venezuela, July 4 (Reuters) - Chile qualified for the quarter-finals of the Copa America after holding Mexico to a 0-0 draw on Wednesday.
Mexico, who had already qualified, clinched top spot in Group B after a tame match at the Anzoategui stadium with seven points from three games.
Chile, with four points, are guaranteed a place in the quarters as either the second team in the group or as one of the two best third-placed teams.
Brazil, who have three points, will play Ecuador later at the same venue in the last match of the group. Ecuador have failed to register a point so far.
Chile, missing several players through injury including midfielder Jorge Valdivia, wasted the best chance of the first half when Carlos Villanueva found himself free in the penalty area but was let down by a poor first touch.
Mexico struggled to find any rhythm and Cuauhtemoc Blanco, given his first start of the tournament, looked off the pace as he repeatedly lost possession.
Mexico goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa was called into action again early in the second half to save a long-range effort from Juan Lorca and a close-range header from Humberto Suazo.
Chile then had a penalty appeal turned down when Lorca tumbled in the box and Mexico's Jonny Magallon missed an easy chance at the other end when he headed wide right afterwards.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Russia says military planning will take account of NATO moves on borders
- Analysis - Bitcoin shows staying power as online merchants chase digital sparkle
- Ukraine president accuses Russian soldiers of backing rebel thrust |