Clijsters pregnant, father tells Web site
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Former tennis world number one and sporting media darling Kim Clijsters is pregnant with her first child, Belgian sports Web site www.sport.be reported on Tuesday, citing her father.
"If everything goes well, then Kim will become a mother next year and me a grandfather. Yippee," said Leo Clijsters, himself a former international soccer star, in his blog on the Web site.
"Babysitting, changing pampers (nappies). All of which is no problem as long as I don't have to breastfeed."
The 24-year-old, who had been blighted by injuries, quit the sport in May to focus on her private life, including her forthcoming wedding to U.S. basketball player Brian Lynch.
Clijsters, known to fans as 'Kim Kong' or 'Killing Kim', earned celebrity status in Belgium during her relatively short tennis career which saw her win one grand slam title -- the 2005 U.S. Open.
The Belgian also won the hearts of Australians, who affectionately called her Aussie Kim, during her engagement to Australian tennis star Lleyton Hewitt.
Her departure from tennis was met with sadness from fans and media alike although there were some swipes from Belgian newspaper editors, some of whom said they had expected her to achieve more in her career.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Insight - European regulators training sights on Google's mobile software
- Argentina braces for market reaction to second default in 12 years |
- Gaza toll soars as Israel 'days' from completing tunnel hunt |
- 'Complacent' NATO unprepared for Russian threat - MPs