Soccer-Roundup-Woodgate voted worst signing of the 21st century
MADRID, July 26
MADRID, July 26 (Reuters) - Soccer news in brief from around the world:
* England defender Jonathan Woodgate was voted the worst signing of the 21st century by readers of www.marca.com, the Web site for Spain's biggest selling sports daily.
The 27-year-old was the runaway winner polling 37.11 percent of the votes cast on their Web page, the newspaper said.
Real Madrid signed "Woody" from Newcastle United for around $25 million in August 2004 but because of a thigh injury he did not make his debut until September 2005.
His first official game turned into a nightmare when he scored an own goal and was sent off in the league match against Athletic Bilbao at the Bernabeu.
Woodgate was put out on loan to Premier League Middlesbrough in August 2006 and the move became permanent for a fee of $14 million earlier this year.
He made only 14 competitive appearances for Real Madrid.
* Getafe have signed 28-year-old Argentina defender Daniel Diaz from Boca Juniors, the Primera Liga club said. Spanish media reported the deal was worth 4 million euros ($5.49 million).
* Bolton Wanderers will sign Swedish international winger Christian Wilhelmsson from French Club Nantes on a 12-month loan with a view to a permanent move, the Premier League club said on their Web site www.bwfc.premiumtv.co.uk.
* Sevilla captain and centre back Javi Navarro will be out for between six and eight weeks after exploratory surgery for a problem with his right knee, the UEFA Cup holders said on their Web site www.sevillafc.es.
* Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes, who flew home midway through the Premier League champions' Asia Tour on Monday, will be back in action in three weeks after knee surgery, the club said on their Web site www.manutd.com.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin admits Russian forces were deployed to Crimea
- South Korea investigates capsized ferry crew, stowage as rescue hampered |
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Singer Chris Brown's bodyguard on trial for assault
- Search for Malaysia jet refocuses on drone scans of sea floor