Tennis-Venus Williams withdraws from Toronto event
TORONTO Aug 8 (Reuters) - Wimbledon champion Venus Williams has withdrawn from next week's Rogers Cup tournament in Toronto because of tendonitis in her right knee, the WTA said on Wednesday.
After being upset in the quarter-finals of the San Diego Classic last week by Russia's Anna Chakvetadze, Williams said she was exhausted and needed a break.
"I'm at the end of my rope now," Williams said in San Diego. "I should have planned my schedule better. I'm feeling maxed out."
Williams is next scheduled to compete at the U.S. Open which starts later this month.
(Writing by Matt Cronin in Los Angeles)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali |
- Liberian man in Lagos being tested for Ebola
- Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800 |
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760 |