Tennis-Venus Williams withdraws from Toronto event
TORONTO Aug 8 (Reuters) - Wimbledon champion Venus Williams has withdrawn from next week's Rogers Cup tournament in Toronto because of tendonitis in her right knee, the WTA said on Wednesday.
After being upset in the quarter-finals of the San Diego Classic last week by Russia's Anna Chakvetadze, Williams said she was exhausted and needed a break.
"I'm at the end of my rope now," Williams said in San Diego. "I should have planned my schedule better. I'm feeling maxed out."
Williams is next scheduled to compete at the U.S. Open which starts later this month.
(Writing by Matt Cronin in Los Angeles)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Divided, Scots prepare to vote on fate of the United Kingdom |
- Factbox - Scotland's independence vote: How will the results come?
- Scottish supporters of United Kingdom have 4 percent point lead - YouGov poll
- Silent Europe aghast at possible breakup of Britain
- Russia, Egypt seal preliminary arms deal worth $3.5 billion - agency