Tennis-Venus Williams withdraws from Toronto event
TORONTO Aug 8 (Reuters) - Wimbledon champion Venus Williams has withdrawn from next week's Rogers Cup tournament in Toronto because of tendonitis in her right knee, the WTA said on Wednesday.
After being upset in the quarter-finals of the San Diego Classic last week by Russia's Anna Chakvetadze, Williams said she was exhausted and needed a break.
"I'm at the end of my rope now," Williams said in San Diego. "I should have planned my schedule better. I'm feeling maxed out."
Williams is next scheduled to compete at the U.S. Open which starts later this month.
(Writing by Matt Cronin in Los Angeles)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pro-independence Scots narrow gap to victory ahead of vote - poll
- UK's fate in the balance as poll shows record support for Scottish independence
- Child abuse revelations divide "most shameful town in Britain"
- Kremlin adviser says military strategy to reflect Ukraine crisis, NATO expansion - RIA
- Russian forces strengthening positions in Ukraine - Kiev military