Tennis-Open-Former champion Kuznetsova cruises into second round
NEW YORK Aug 28 (Reuters) - Former champion Svetlana Kuznetsova battered her way into the second round of the U.S. Open on Tuesday with a 6-2 6-3 victory over Czech Klara Zakopalova.
The fourth seed, who won the title in 2004, needed just 64 minutes to win through to a meeting with Camille Pin of France or Ukrainian qualifier Tatiana Perebiynis.
"I think I played better in the first set," Kuznetsova said in a courtside interview.
"I got a bit tired in the second set but I am happy to get through. I feel like my game is getting there and hopefully I will get better with each match."
Kuznetsova won the tournament in New Haven last week but said she had largely taken a novel approach to preparing for the final grand slam of the year: "I rested a lot."
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- UPDATE 11-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough |
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman