UPDATE 1-Soccer-Platini wants Champions League final at weekend
MONTE CARLO Aug 30 (Reuters) - UEFA president Michel Platini wants the Champions League final to take place at the weekend rather than on a Wednesday night, he told reporters on Thursday.
Platini, who took over as president of UEFA earlier this year said at a media briefing: "At the final in Athens in May I was astounded that there were no families and children at the match. This would change if it was played at the weekend."
The Champions League, and previously the European Cup final, have traditionally been scheduled for a Wednesday night since the first final took place in 1956.
However, the Frenchman added the UEFA Cup final could not be played at the weekend because of schedule problems.
"It is not easy to have one weekend. Two is simply impossible," he said.
Platini said he wanted 75 percent of people attending the major UEFA competitions' finals to be fans, not invitees.
The former France playmaker added he wanted the European Cup finals to be played in soccer stadiums with an average capacity of 70,000 to solve security issues.
"If making more seats available through larger stadiums can help solve these security problems then we have to do it," he said.
"Let's see if it works, but of course we cannot accommodate everyone and start building 250,000-seater stadiums."
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- WRAPUP 8-Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |