HBO gets a "Life" with virtual-world documentary
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - HBO has snapped up a documentary film that was created and produced entirely within Second Life, the 3-D virtual world that boasts more than 9 million residents worldwide.
Directed by Douglas Gayeton, "Molotov's Dispatches in Search of the Creator: A Second Life Odyssey" chronicles an avatar, Molotov Alva, as he travels through Second Life learning of its complex social interactions.
Gayeton is an industry veteran, having co-written and co-directed the interactive CD-ROM movie "Johnny Mnemonic" (the version that does not star Keanu Reeves) for Sony Imagesoft. In the 1990s, he was a member of Propaganda Films along with directors Spike Jonze, David Fincher and Alex Proyas.
The 35-minute documentary will air sometime next year. In an interview with the blog New World Notes, Gayeton said HBO intends to submit "Molotov" for Academy Award consideration in the animated short-subject category.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack - sources |
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast - source |
- Voters more receptive to UKIP than polls show - study
- Insight - Scotland's Salmond talks independence, but plays politics
- Exclusive - Chinese raw materials also found on U.S. B-1 bomber, F-16 jets