- Veteran bands Motorhead, Black Sabbath top Metal Hammer Golden Gods
- Kanye West wins over critics with 'daring' new album 'Yeezus'
- 'Standing man' inspires silent protests in Turkey |
- Brazil protests pose challenge for World Cup organisers
- Golfing in Iceland's midnight sun - lava beds, angry birds, winds
HBO gets a "Life" with virtual-world documentary
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - HBO has snapped up a documentary film that was created and produced entirely within Second Life, the 3-D virtual world that boasts more than 9 million residents worldwide.
Directed by Douglas Gayeton, "Molotov's Dispatches in Search of the Creator: A Second Life Odyssey" chronicles an avatar, Molotov Alva, as he travels through Second Life learning of its complex social interactions.
Gayeton is an industry veteran, having co-written and co-directed the interactive CD-ROM movie "Johnny Mnemonic" (the version that does not star Keanu Reeves) for Sony Imagesoft. In the 1990s, he was a member of Propaganda Films along with directors Spike Jonze, David Fincher and Alex Proyas.
The 35-minute documentary will air sometime next year. In an interview with the blog New World Notes, Gayeton said HBO intends to submit "Molotov" for Academy Award consideration in the animated short-subject category.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this