McCartney and Starr coming home for Year of Culture
LONDON (Reuters) - Former Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are coming home to celebrate Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture in 2008.
McCartney is headlining a concert at Anfield Stadium, home of Liverpool Football Club, while Starr is joining forces with Eurythmics member Dave Stewart for "Liverpool The Musical."
"It's going to be a great year," McCartney promised in a statement on Thursday detailing plans for the northern English city's cultural bonanza.
"I'm very proud of the city and I look forward to welcoming you all and showing you a good time," McCartney said.
He is headlining next June's concert which will be broadcast live to a worldwide audience. The full line-up is to be announced later.
The Liverpool musical was described as "Stravinsky meets Hip Hop" with an eclectic cast ranging from Ringo Starr to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Attack on parliament, killing of soldier stun Canada's capital |
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin red group results
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients