McCartney and Starr coming home for Year of Culture
LONDON (Reuters) - Former Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are coming home to celebrate Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture in 2008.
McCartney is headlining a concert at Anfield Stadium, home of Liverpool Football Club, while Starr is joining forces with Eurythmics member Dave Stewart for "Liverpool The Musical."
"It's going to be a great year," McCartney promised in a statement on Thursday detailing plans for the northern English city's cultural bonanza.
"I'm very proud of the city and I look forward to welcoming you all and showing you a good time," McCartney said.
He is headlining next June's concert which will be broadcast live to a worldwide audience. The full line-up is to be announced later.
The Liverpool musical was described as "Stravinsky meets Hip Hop" with an eclectic cast ranging from Ringo Starr to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Kurds' battle for Kobani unites a people divided by borders
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Japan's central bank shocks markets with more easing as inflation slows |
- Shares jump, yen slumps as Bank of Japan cranks up stimulus |
- RBS takes 400 million-pound forex charge and warns of more to come