Extra! MSNBC.com buys Newsvine
NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - MSNBC.com has acquired social news media site Newsvine, which bridges the gap between traditional and new media.
Newsvine displays news from news organizations, which is placed and added to by the Newsvine community.
Mike Davidson, who co-founded Newsvine in March 2006, said the site's mission has never been to displace mainstream media but instead create a social ecosystem around the news.
"Our vision has always been to create an environment where mainstream media and independent media live together and frankly make each other better," Davidson said.
The site has been getting a million unique users a month, he said.
MSNBC.com GM Charlie Tillinghast said he'd like to see some of Newsvine's features incorporated into MSNBC.com, though it's not yet clear which.
"We think that community is a cornerstone of Internet news going forward," Tillinghast said.
Terms of the deal weren't announced.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Portugal scrambles jets again to intercept Russian bombers
- Judge rejects strict limits on U.S. nurse who treated Ebola patients |
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles quarterfinal results