WE57 HAM licence plate fetches record price
LONDON (Reuters) - Fans of east London club West Ham set a new record price of 57,000 pounds for a football-related vehicle licence plate on Friday as they outbid each other for plate number WE57 HAM.
The price dwarfed the previous record of 36,000 pounds set in 2004 for plate number AR53 NAL (Arsenal).
"The atmosphere in the auction room was electric -- it was like a cup final," said Damian Lawson, Marketing Manager for Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency Personalised Registrations.
"The fans bidding showed the same passion they do on the terraces and we could only watch as the price kept on rising and rising," he added.
The winner bid anonymously over the Internet.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will "boomerang" |
- As Ukraine crisis deepens, Russia's neighbours boost defences
- Britain says Scotland split would put Scottish pensions at risk
- Crimea votes to join Russia, Obama orders sanctions |
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase