Soccer-Top Dutch clashes postponed due to police strike
AMSTERDAM Dec 15 (Reuters) - Sunday's clash between Dutch league leaders Ajax Amsterdam and PSV Eindhoven has been postponed after a Dutch court allowed police to stage a strike this weekend.
Amsterdam mayor Job Cohen told Dutch radio on Saturday the absence of police would create unacceptable risks for public security.
"We simply can not guarantee that all will go well," Cohen said.
Third-placed Feyenoord's game with AZ Alkmaar has also been postponed.
Ajax top the standings with 31 points after 14 matches, one point ahead of PSV with Feyenoord a further point behind. (Additional reporting by Theo Ruizenaar) (Reporting by Harro ten Wolde; Editing by John Mehaffey)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- UPDATE 3-Boeing reports wing cracks on 787 Dreamliners in production
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- As Ukraine crisis deepens, Russia's neighbours boost defences
- UPDATE 2-White House plays down speedy role for U.S. natural gas in Ukraine