Soccer-Top Dutch clashes postponed due to police strike
AMSTERDAM Dec 15 (Reuters) - Sunday's clash between Dutch league leaders Ajax Amsterdam and PSV Eindhoven has been postponed after a Dutch court allowed police to stage a strike this weekend.
Amsterdam mayor Job Cohen told Dutch radio on Saturday the absence of police would create unacceptable risks for public security.
"We simply can not guarantee that all will go well," Cohen said.
Third-placed Feyenoord's game with AZ Alkmaar has also been postponed.
Ajax top the standings with 31 points after 14 matches, one point ahead of PSV with Feyenoord a further point behind. (Additional reporting by Theo Ruizenaar) (Reporting by Harro ten Wolde; Editing by John Mehaffey)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hurricane-force winds wreak havoc in Britain, head to Europe
- China bars banks from bitcoin transactions
- Osborne says vindicated by growth rebound, vows to stay on course |
- Special Report - Thailand secretly dumps Myanmar refugees into trafficking rings
- UPDATE 2-Iran, Iraq put OPEC on notice of big oil increases