Newcastle's Barton charged with assault
LONDON (Reuters) - Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton has been charged with common assault and affray after an incident in the centre of Liverpool on Thursday morning, police said.
The 25-year-old was arrested along with a 19-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman at 5:30 a.m. British time on Church Street in the heart of the northwest England city.
Barton remained in custody while the other two were bailed and all three will appear together at Liverpool City Magistrates Court at 10 a.m. on Friday, a statement released by Merseyside Police said.
Barton joined Newcastle from Premier League rivals Manchester City in June for a fee of 5.8 million pounds ($11.52 million).
The player is already on unconditional bail over the alleged assault on former Manchester City team mate Ousmane Dabo which goes to a Crown Court trial next June.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |
- TLC cancels reality TV programme 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo'
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting