Joey Barton in Newcastle squad
LONDON (Reuters) - Midfielder Joey Barton has been included in the Newcastle United squad to meet Arsenal in the Premier League on Tuesday (7:45 p.m.) after his bail conditions were amended.
Barton, 25, was charged with assault and affray last month. A Newcastle spokesman said on Tuesday the bail conditions had been changed and Barton was now available to play for the club.
"Common sense has prevailed and it's a major plus for us," manager Kevin Keegan told the club's Web site (www.nufc.co.uk). "We are very low with numbers at the minute and I'd have no problems with bringing him on.
"He's worked very hard in training. It's not been a good time for him but if we can draw a line under this we can turn this into a positive."
Barton, who joined Newcastle from Manchester City last year for 5.8 million pounds, last played for the club in the home draw against Derby on December 23. He was charged four days later.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Attack on parliament, killing of soldier stun Canada's capital |
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin red group results
- Mexico says mayor, wife were behind student-teacher disappearances