LONDON (Reuters) - Convicted serial killer Steve Wright sought permission on Wednesday to appeal the life sentence he was handed last month for murdering five prostitutes in his hometown of Ipswich.
Wright, 49, formally applied for permission to challenge the sentence, handed down by a judge after a jury at Ipswich Crown Court deliberated for two days, less than a month into his sentence, a spokeswoman for the Suffolk police said.
"We have been informed by the Crown Court that he has put in an application for leave to appeal against his convictions," she said, but declined to comment further.
Wright, a former forklift truck driver and worker on the QE2 cruise liner, killed the five drug-addicted women during a six-week campaign of violence in late 2006.
He was sentenced to a whole life term without the prospect of parole, meaning he will never be released, for crimes the judge said had revolted the public.
"It is right you should spend your whole life in prison," Justice Peter Gross told Wright, whose father disowned him after the convictions were handed down.
Wright, labelled the "Suffolk Strangler" by the media, murdered the women while his 63-year-old partner Pamela was working night shifts.
Their bodies were found in the space of just 10 days around the city, two of them arranged in a cruciform pose with arms outstretched.
Media reports have said police are now set to question Wright over the unsolved murder of estate agent Suzy Lamplugh, who is believed to have died more than 20 years ago.
She went missing in July 1986 after leaving her office in Fulham, west London, to meet a mysterious "Mr Kipper". She and Wright had worked together on the QE2.
The spokeswoman declined to comment on whether police had interviewed Wright in relation to other crimes.
(Editing by Luke Baker)