Olympics-U.S. and Honduras qualify for Beijing soccer tournament
MIAMI, March 20
MIAMI, March 20 (Reuters) - The United States and Honduras qualified for this year's Olympic soccer tournament after victories in their regional qualifying event on Thursday.
Freddy Adu scored twice for the U.S in their 3-0 victory over Canada in Nashville while Honduras defeated Guatemala 6-5 on penalties after their game finished scoreless after extra-time.
The U.S. will meet Honduras in the final of the CONCACAF Under-23 tournament, which doubles as Olympic qualifying, on Sunday but both teams are assured of places in Beijing.
Adu opened the scoring with a free kick in the 27th minute that Canada keeper Joshua Wagenaar should have saved.
Adu, who plays in Portugal for Benfica, struck again in the 48th minute with another set-piece, this time floating the ball superbly into the top corner with Wagenaar helpless.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Still no sign of Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- TIMELINE-Malaysia Airlines flight to Beijing missing in Asia