Motorway security to be reinforced in Italy
MILAN (Reuters) - Security will be reinforced on Italian motorways after a second soccer fan died at a service station within five months, the country's anti-hooligan body said on Monday.
Parma fan Matteo Bagnaresi was knocked down and killed by a Juventus supporters' coach at a rest stop on the way to Turin following a dispute with rival supporters on Sunday.
Parma's match at Juventus was postponed.
"The security plan for the transit of supporters on the motorway network...will be enhanced," a statement from the anti-hooligan body said.
It said away travel to high risk games would continue to be monitored and banned on a case-by-case basis. Inter Milan fans are set to be stopped from travelling to their league match with Atalanta next Sunday.
There have also been calls for all away travel in Italy to be banned.
The statement said Manchester United's Champions League quarter-final first leg at AS Roma on Tuesday had to be closely watched following trouble in previous encounters between the clubs in Rome.
The implementation of a "supporter's passport", like a credit card which details information on a fan, will also be speeded up.
In November, before the reverse set of fixtures to Sunday's, Lazio fan Gabriele Sandri was shot and killed by a policeman following scuffles with Juve fans at another service station.
The incident, which followed the death of a policeman outside a Catania match in February 2007, sparked riots and the suspension of the league for a week.
The response to Sunday's accident has been more measured, despite media reports quoting the coach driver Siro Spolti and Juve supporters as saying Parma fans had threatened them. Some reports said bottles had been thrown.
Police said the fans were just exchanging insults and Parma president Tommaso Ghirardi was adamant his supporters were not violent and there had been no fighting.
The driver is now under investigation while media reports said Bagnaresi was a member of an ultra group and had only just been allowed to enter stadiums again after a three-year ban for a previous incident with Juventus fans.
(Editing by John Mehaffey)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this