UPDATE 1-Soccer-Euro-Poland's Blaszczykowski out of finals
BAD WALTERSDORF, Austria, June 5 (Reuters) - Poland winger Jakub Blaszczykowski will miss Euro 2008 after aggravating a hamstring injury in training on Thursday.
"A medical examination and a consequent diagnosis showed it would be impossible for the player to be fit for the group stage," team spokeswoman Marta Alf said in a statement.
"Therefore a decision was made to request (organisers) UEFA to approve the replacement of Blaszczykowski with Hertha Berlin player Lukasz Piszczek."
The 23-year-old Piszczek made his debut in a friendly against Estonia in February and has three caps.
Blaszczykowski, who plays for Borussia Dortmund, picked up the injury last month and had been sidelined for two weeks.
Coach Leo Beenhakker looked upon the winger as one of the key players in Poland's bid to reach the last eight in their first appearance in the Euro finals.
Beenhakker also omitted left back Grzegorz Bronowicki from his provisional squad last month because of a knee injury and will have to field a makeshift defence in the opening match against Group B rivals Germany in Klagenfurt on Sunday.
Poland also play co-hosts Austria in Vienna on June 12 and Croatia in Klagenfurt four days later.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 7-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow business jet accident
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow business jet accident
- Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to defenders |