Tennis-Sharapova to miss Birmingham and Eastbourne tournaments
LONDON, June 7
LONDON, June 7 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova will miss this year's Wimbledon warmup tournaments in Birmingham and Eastbourne, the Russian said on Saturday.
Her decision means the 21-year-old Russian will play no competitive grass court tennis before the grand slam tournament starting on June 23.
Sharapova said on her Web site (www.mariasharapova.com) that her decision to miss Birmingham after five consecutive years in the draw would help her focus on Wimbledon. She has won the tournament twice.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UK troops in largest armoured deployment in Eastern Europe for six years
- In class obsessed Britain, tweet of 'white van' man hits nerve
- Somali Islamists execute 28 non-Muslims on Kenyan bus
- Lavrov accuses West of seeking 'regime change' in Russia
- European Parliament may propose Google break-up in draft resolution