Tennis-Sharapova to miss Birmingham and Eastbourne tournaments
LONDON, June 7
LONDON, June 7 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova will miss this year's Wimbledon warmup tournaments in Birmingham and Eastbourne, the Russian said on Saturday.
Her decision means the 21-year-old Russian will play no competitive grass court tennis before the grand slam tournament starting on June 23.
Sharapova said on her Web site (www.mariasharapova.com) that her decision to miss Birmingham after five consecutive years in the draw would help her focus on Wimbledon. She has won the tournament twice.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola outbreak
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |