Tennis-Sharapova to miss Birmingham and Eastbourne tournaments
LONDON, June 7
LONDON, June 7 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova will miss this year's Wimbledon warmup tournaments in Birmingham and Eastbourne, the Russian said on Saturday.
Her decision means the 21-year-old Russian will play no competitive grass court tennis before the grand slam tournament starting on June 23.
Sharapova said on her Web site (www.mariasharapova.com) that her decision to miss Birmingham after five consecutive years in the draw would help her focus on Wimbledon. She has won the tournament twice.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough |
- UPDATE 11-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia