Website says Anwar wins Malaysia vote with big majority
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Anwar Ibrahim has won a key Malaysian by-election with a majority of 16,210 votes, influential news website Malaysiakini reported on Tuesday.
Malaysiakini (www.malaysiakini.com) reported that Anwar won 26,646 votes, while the government's Arif Omar won 10,436 votes.
Political analysts had said that to emerge as a credible leader of the opposition coalition, Anwar had to win by at least the 13,388 majority his wife won when she contested the seat in March's general election.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- British Muslims blame jihadi subculture after beheading video
- Germany's Merkel says wants to find 'path to peace' over Ukraine crisis |
- Suicide attacks kill at least 17 in Iraq after mosque shooting
- U.S. says Russia must pull convoy from Ukraine or face more sanctions |
- U.S. hostage rescuers dropped from night sky, Syria activist says