Website says Anwar wins Malaysia vote with big majority
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Anwar Ibrahim has won a key Malaysian by-election with a majority of 16,210 votes, influential news website Malaysiakini reported on Tuesday.
Malaysiakini (www.malaysiakini.com) reported that Anwar won 26,646 votes, while the government's Arif Omar won 10,436 votes.
Political analysts had said that to emerge as a credible leader of the opposition coalition, Anwar had to win by at least the 13,388 majority his wife won when she contested the seat in March's general election.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Libyan militants overrun Benghazi special forces base as chaos deepens
- Israel intensifies Gaza assault, Egyptians revise truce plan |
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- Analysis - Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine