Gustav's death toll in Haiti rises to 51
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - At least 51 people have died in Haiti as a result of Tropical Storm Gustav, which hit the impoverished Caribbean nation as a hurricane on Tuesday, an official said on Thursday.
"There are 51 people killed," Alta Jean-Baptiste, director of Haiti's civil protection office, told Reuters.
The deaths occurred primarily as a result of flooding and mudslides in western and southern Haiti, she said.
(Reporting by Joseph Guyler Delva, editing by Jim Loney and Sandra Maler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Ukraine, Russia, EU agree to natural gas supply deal
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- American detained in North Korea gets job back with Ohio city
- Kurds' battle for Kobani unites a people divided by borders