Gustav's death toll in Haiti rises to 51
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - At least 51 people have died in Haiti as a result of Tropical Storm Gustav, which hit the impoverished Caribbean nation as a hurricane on Tuesday, an official said on Thursday.
"There are 51 people killed," Alta Jean-Baptiste, director of Haiti's civil protection office, told Reuters.
The deaths occurred primarily as a result of flooding and mudslides in western and southern Haiti, she said.
(Reporting by Joseph Guyler Delva, editing by Jim Loney and Sandra Maler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels, Russia starts drill near border |
- Jodie Foster marries girlfriend Alexandra Hedison
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Australia rules out link between debris and Malaysian plane
- Barclays chairman defends staff bonuses as Standard Life leads shareholder protests