Gustav's death toll in Haiti rises to 51
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - At least 51 people have died in Haiti as a result of Tropical Storm Gustav, which hit the impoverished Caribbean nation as a hurricane on Tuesday, an official said on Thursday.
"There are 51 people killed," Alta Jean-Baptiste, director of Haiti's civil protection office, told Reuters.
The deaths occurred primarily as a result of flooding and mudslides in western and southern Haiti, she said.
(Reporting by Joseph Guyler Delva, editing by Jim Loney and Sandra Maler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Deadly gun attack in eastern Ukraine shakes fragile Geneva accord |
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry |
- Bankrupt British loans official resigns, embarrassing PM Cameron
- Special Report - How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Australia sees 'regroup' on Malaysian plane search in a few days |