Gustav's death toll in Haiti rises to 51
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - At least 51 people have died in Haiti as a result of Tropical Storm Gustav, which hit the impoverished Caribbean nation as a hurricane on Tuesday, an official said on Thursday.
"There are 51 people killed," Alta Jean-Baptiste, director of Haiti's civil protection office, told Reuters.
The deaths occurred primarily as a result of flooding and mudslides in western and southern Haiti, she said.
(Reporting by Joseph Guyler Delva, editing by Jim Loney and Sandra Maler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Libyan militants overrun Benghazi special forces base as chaos deepens
- Israel intensifies Gaza assault, Egyptians revise truce plan |
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- At least 43 Palestinians killed as Israel maintains pressure on Gaza |
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine |