Gustav's death toll in Haiti rises to 51
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - At least 51 people have died in Haiti as a result of Tropical Storm Gustav, which hit the impoverished Caribbean nation as a hurricane on Tuesday, an official said on Thursday.
"There are 51 people killed," Alta Jean-Baptiste, director of Haiti's civil protection office, told Reuters.
The deaths occurred primarily as a result of flooding and mudslides in western and southern Haiti, she said.
(Reporting by Joseph Guyler Delva, editing by Jim Loney and Sandra Maler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Arsenal must now beat Galatasaray, says Cazorla
- UK economy picks up in second quarter, recovery pace revised higher
- UK house prices fall for first time in 17 months - Nationwide
- Lightning, rain fail to deter resolute Hong Kong protesters |
- Kurds seize Iraq/Syria border post; Sunni tribe joins fight against Islamic State |