Briefs-World Cup hosts South Africa lose again
Sept 10 (Reuters) - Sports briefs from around the world.
Soccer - 2010 World Cup hosts South Africa suffered another embarrassing home defeat on Tuesday, beaten 1-0 by Guinea in a friendly near Pretoria.
The loss followed a 1-0 defeat by Nigeria on Saturday that all but ended South African hopes of qualifying for the next African Nations Cup finals in Angola.
Aboubacar Mbaye Camara scored the only goal of a hastily-arranged match with Guinea passing through Johannesburg on their way home after a 0-0 draw with Zimbabwe in a World Cup qualifier on Sunday.
Rugby - Former Australia and New Zealand scrumhalf Des Connor will become the 14th player to be inducted into the Wallabies Hall of Fame, the Australian Rugby Union said on Wednesday.
Connor played the first of his 12 tests for Australia in 1958 and represented the All Blacks in 12 internationals after moving to New Zealand in 1961.
(Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Merkel asks Putin to explain reports of Russian troops in Ukraine
- Ukraine leader says Russian forces are in the country as key town falls
- Ukraine accuses Russia of bringing in troops
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- Business leaders urge Scots to vote against independence