Source says Malaysia PM may step down early
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - A special meeting of the top council of the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) will discuss a plan for Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to step down in June 2009, a party source said on Thursday.
Abdullah had previously said he would step down in 2010 in favour of his deputy Najib Razak.
UMNO is the leading party in Malaysia's ruling Barisan Nasional coalition and its supreme council is holding a special meeting on Friday, Najib told a news conference earlier in the day.
(Reporting by Jalil Hamid; Editing by Faisal Aziz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |
- Australia, Malaysia vow to keep searching to solve plane mystery
- Search for MH370 reveals a military vulnerability for China
- Man United act to halt slide as power shifts back to Liverpool
- Ukraine's leaders say have U.S. backing to take on 'aggressors' |