Source says Malaysia PM may step down early
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - A special meeting of the top council of the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) will discuss a plan for Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to step down in June 2009, a party source said on Thursday.
Abdullah had previously said he would step down in 2010 in favour of his deputy Najib Razak.
UMNO is the leading party in Malaysia's ruling Barisan Nasional coalition and its supreme council is holding a special meeting on Friday, Najib told a news conference earlier in the day.
(Reporting by Jalil Hamid; Editing by Faisal Aziz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- UK's Lloyds says case strengthened for re-starting dividends
- Netanyahu vows to complete Gaza tunnels destruction |
- Insight - European regulators training sights on Google's mobile software
- Russia wants Apple, SAP to cooperate against foreign spying