Source says Malaysia PM may step down early
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - A special meeting of the top council of the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) will discuss a plan for Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to step down in June 2009, a party source said on Thursday.
Abdullah had previously said he would step down in 2010 in favour of his deputy Najib Razak.
UMNO is the leading party in Malaysia's ruling Barisan Nasional coalition and its supreme council is holding a special meeting on Friday, Najib told a news conference earlier in the day.
(Reporting by Jalil Hamid; Editing by Faisal Aziz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hong Kong protests approach potential National Day flashpoint |
- Analysis - Financial market storm brewing as 2014 winds down
- British financial watchdog to investigate Tesco accounting scandal
- Eyeing 2015 vote, Cameron pledges 7 billion pounds in tax cuts
- Hong Kong leader plays waiting game, protesters demand he resigns |