Soccer-Estudiantes reach Sudamericana final
BUENOS AIRES Nov 20 (Reuters) - Estudiantes beat Argentinos Juniors 1-0 in an all-Argentine clash to reach the Copa Sudamericana final on Thursday.
Striker Jose Luis Calderon, 38, notched the only goal of the semi-final second leg tie to give Estudiantes a 2-1 aggregate win.
Calderon got in front of his marker to head home in the 62nd minute.
Argentinos had Franco Quiroga sent off in the 83rd minute for a second bookable offence and Rodrigo Brana of Estudiantes was dismissed in stoppage-time for a late tackle.
Estudiantes, captained by Juan Sebastian Veron, will face Brazil's Internacional in the two-leg final.
Internacional beat Mexico's Guadalajara 4-0 on Wednesday to complete a 6-0 aggregate win. The tournament is the region's equivalent of the UEFA Cup.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine says EU to be guarantor in any Russia gas deal
- Rebound in FTSE halted by drop in BT and commodity stocks
- U.S. nurse defies Maine's Ebola quarantine, takes bike ride |
- Shell outpaces peers with profit growth, keeps spending
- Barclays sets aside 500 million pounds for FX fines as profits rise |