Soccer-Estudiantes reach Sudamericana final
BUENOS AIRES Nov 20 (Reuters) - Estudiantes beat Argentinos Juniors 1-0 in an all-Argentine clash to reach the Copa Sudamericana final on Thursday.
Striker Jose Luis Calderon, 38, notched the only goal of the semi-final second leg tie to give Estudiantes a 2-1 aggregate win.
Calderon got in front of his marker to head home in the 62nd minute.
Argentinos had Franco Quiroga sent off in the 83rd minute for a second bookable offence and Rodrigo Brana of Estudiantes was dismissed in stoppage-time for a late tackle.
Estudiantes, captained by Juan Sebastian Veron, will face Brazil's Internacional in the two-leg final.
Internacional beat Mexico's Guadalajara 4-0 on Wednesday to complete a 6-0 aggregate win. The tournament is the region's equivalent of the UEFA Cup.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Don't mess with nuclear Russia, Putin says
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll