UPDATE 1-Soccer-Lyon held 0-0 in top-of-table clash
(adds detail, quotes)
PARIS Dec 14 (Reuters) - Olympique Marseille held Ligue 1 leaders Olympique Lyon to a goalless draw in a tight, tactical top-of-table clash on Sunday.
The result left Lyon, chasing an eighth consecutive title, three points ahead of second-placed Marseille with one game to go before the winter break.
Lyon have 35 points from 18 games, with Marseille, third-placed Girondins Bordeaux and fourth-placed Paris St Germain all on 32 points.
A tense affair featuring five yellow cards, the game at Lyon, played on a soggy pitch, produced few highlights.
Marseille, who would have gone top with a win, wasted a great chance when midfielder Mathieu Valbuena shot straight at Lyon keeper Hugo Lloris from close range on 35 minutes.
Lyon, who have now gone four league matches without a win, let Marseille dictate play and relied on counter-attacks before turning the pressure on in the closing stages but were rarely dangerous.
"We had a few chances but couldn't score", Lyon coach Claude Puel told reporters. "Both teams were tired and you could see that. We did what we could."
Bordeaux won 3-1 at Le Mans and Paris St Germain, recovering after narrowly escaping relegation last season, won 2-1 at Auxerre. (Editing by Karolos Grohmann/Rex Gowar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Qatar will not host 2022 World Cup, says FIFA's Zwanziger
- Tesco cuts profit outlook again and suspends staff after accounting error |
- Echoes of Law in 1974 as City's Lampard shuns celebration
- Siemens splurges $7.6 billion on Dresser-Rand in U.S. shale market bet |
- Alibaba issues additional shares to raise IPO total to $25 billion - report