World's oldest person dies in Portugal at 115
LISBON (Reuters) - A Portuguese woman who was the world's oldest person died on Friday at the age of 115, a family member said.
Maria de Jesus was the world's oldest person since an American woman, Edna Parker, died in November at the age of 115 years and 220 days, according to the website (www.grg.org) of the Gerontology Research Group.
A family member said Maria de Jesus died in an ambulance on her way to hospital. She was being taken to hospital due to a swelling.
Maria de Jesus was born on September 10, 1893. She reached 115 years and 114 days.
(Reporting by Carlos Alberto Pontes)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Merkel asks Putin to explain reports of Russian troops in Ukraine
- Russian-backed separatists enter southeast Ukraine town
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- Business leaders urge Scots to vote against independence
- China says 'no change' in policy on improving ties with Japan