Toshiba to launch Cell chip-powered TV in 2009
LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Japan's Toshiba Corp will launch an advanced TV powered by its Cell high-performance microchip this year, to better compete with larger rivals like Samsung Electronics Co.
The Cell, now used in Sony Corp's PlayStation 3 game console, was developed by International Business Machines Corp, Toshiba and Sony and is dubbed a "supercomputer on a chip".
The Cell enables a TV to simultaneously show up to 48 separate moving pictures on one screen, and offers ultra high-definition graphics.
The price and sales target for the Cell TV have not been fixed, Toshiba executives said on Wednesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco cuts profit outlook again and suspends staff after accounting error
- Cameron shifts tack on constitutional shake-up to mollify Scots
- Nonplussed Lampard rewrites his Chelsea story with City goal
- Siemens agrees to $7.6 billion deal to buy Dresser-Rand
- Nationalists push for Irish unity vote after 'inspiring' Scottish referendum