Toshiba to launch Cell chip-powered TV in 2009
LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Japan's Toshiba Corp will launch an advanced TV powered by its Cell high-performance microchip this year, to better compete with larger rivals like Samsung Electronics Co.
The Cell, now used in Sony Corp's PlayStation 3 game console, was developed by International Business Machines Corp, Toshiba and Sony and is dubbed a "supercomputer on a chip".
The Cell enables a TV to simultaneously show up to 48 separate moving pictures on one screen, and offers ultra high-definition graphics.
The price and sales target for the Cell TV have not been fixed, Toshiba executives said on Wednesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hong Kong protests approach potential National Day flashpoint |
- Analysis - Financial market storm brewing as 2014 winds down
- British financial watchdog to investigate Tesco accounting scandal
- Eyeing 2015 vote, Cameron pledges 7 billion pounds in tax cuts
- Hong Kong leader plays waiting game, protesters demand he resigns |