U.N. passes resolution for immediate Gaza ceasefire
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The U.N. Security Council passed a resolution on Thursday calling for an immediate cease-fire in Gaza and Israel's full withdrawal after a 13-day offensive but the United States abstained in the vote.
The vote followed days of intense haggling at the U.N., with foreign ministers from Arab nations pressing France, Britain and the United States to go along with a resolution rather than a more diluted president's statement.
(Reporting by Sue Pleming)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine launches 'gradual' operation, action limited |
- Battle over Scottish independence slightly tightens in new poll
- Poland: NATO should send troops to east Europe, ignore Russia's objections
- UPDATE 16-Tennis-Monte Carlo Masters men's singles results
- Scores rescued from sinking South Korean ferry, two dead - officials