U.N. passes resolution for immediate Gaza ceasefire
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The U.N. Security Council passed a resolution on Thursday calling for an immediate cease-fire in Gaza and Israel's full withdrawal after a 13-day offensive but the United States abstained in the vote.
The vote followed days of intense haggling at the U.N., with foreign ministers from Arab nations pressing France, Britain and the United States to go along with a resolution rather than a more diluted president's statement.
(Reporting by Sue Pleming)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- NATO, Swedish fighters scrambled to intercept Russian plane
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin red group results