U.N. passes resolution for immediate Gaza ceasefire
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The U.N. Security Council passed a resolution on Thursday calling for an immediate cease-fire in Gaza and Israel's full withdrawal after a 13-day offensive but the United States abstained in the vote.
The vote followed days of intense haggling at the U.N., with foreign ministers from Arab nations pressing France, Britain and the United States to go along with a resolution rather than a more diluted president's statement.
(Reporting by Sue Pleming)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- Iraqi security forces and Kurds gain ground against Islamic State
- Germany's Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform - Sunday Times
- Caterham and Marussia to miss next races - Ecclestone
- Belgium chocolate maker ISIS needs to change its name again