U.N. passes resolution for immediate Gaza ceasefire
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The U.N. Security Council passed a resolution on Thursday calling for an immediate cease-fire in Gaza and Israel's full withdrawal after a 13-day offensive but the United States abstained in the vote.
The vote followed days of intense haggling at the U.N., with foreign ministers from Arab nations pressing France, Britain and the United States to go along with a resolution rather than a more diluted president's statement.
(Reporting by Sue Pleming)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Kurds' battle for Kobani unites a people divided by borders
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Japan's central bank shocks markets with more easing as inflation slows |
- Global Shares jump, yen slumps as BOJ cranks up stimulus |
- Ukraine, Russia, EU agree to natural gas supply deal