CORRECTED-Gunmen shoot editor of Sri Lankan opposition paper
(Corrects to remove erroneous reference to an individual in paragraph 6)
COLOMBO, Jan 8 (Reuters) - An unidentified gunman on a motorbike shot the editor of a newspaper that has been highly critical of the Sri Lankan government on Thursday, leaving him in critical condition with head injuries.
Sunday Leader Chief Editor Lasantha Wickramatunga was in a car on his way to work when he was attacked, Wickramatunga's brother Lal said.
"The gunman smashed the window of the vehicle and shot at him," Lal Wickramatunga told Reuters.
Doctors said he was in critical condition and was being resuscitated before being transferred to the trauma unit at Colombo National Hospital.
Police spokesman Senior Superintendent of Police Ranjith Gunasekara said the attack was being investigated.
It is the second major attack on the media this week, following an assault by more than a dozen gunmen on the studios of Sri Lanka's biggest private broadcaster early on Tuesday. (Reporting by Ranga Sirilal; Writing by Bryson Hull; Editing by Alex Richardson)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Thousands of South Africans queue to see Mandela lie in state |
- FCA fines Lloyds record 28 million pounds for pushing sales
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls
- Boxing champ Klitschko faces ban on running for Ukraine presidency
- Boos, jeers humiliate South Africa's Zuma at Mandela memorial