CORRECTED-Gunmen shoot editor of Sri Lankan opposition paper
(Corrects to remove erroneous reference to an individual in paragraph 6)
COLOMBO, Jan 8 (Reuters) - An unidentified gunman on a motorbike shot the editor of a newspaper that has been highly critical of the Sri Lankan government on Thursday, leaving him in critical condition with head injuries.
Sunday Leader Chief Editor Lasantha Wickramatunga was in a car on his way to work when he was attacked, Wickramatunga's brother Lal said.
"The gunman smashed the window of the vehicle and shot at him," Lal Wickramatunga told Reuters.
Doctors said he was in critical condition and was being resuscitated before being transferred to the trauma unit at Colombo National Hospital.
Police spokesman Senior Superintendent of Police Ranjith Gunasekara said the attack was being investigated.
It is the second major attack on the media this week, following an assault by more than a dozen gunmen on the studios of Sri Lanka's biggest private broadcaster early on Tuesday. (Reporting by Ranga Sirilal; Writing by Bryson Hull; Editing by Alex Richardson)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Masked gunmen slay family collecting body at Honduras morgue, kill 9
- Obama condemns killing of reporter, U.S. hits militants in Iraq |
- UK launches hunt for man with British accent on beheading video |
- Insight - Ukraine rebel movement faces uncertain future
- Gaza war rages on, Hamas says Israel tried to kill its military chief |