Tennis-Schnyder knocked out of Hobart International
SYDNEY Jan 11 (Reuters) - Switzerland's Patty Schnyder was handed a code violation for unsportsmanlike behaviour during her 6-2 6-4 first round loss to Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova at the Hobart International on Sunday.
Second seed Schnyder was given the violation after arguing with the chair umpire when a line call went against her late in the second set.
The unseeded Pironkova held her composure to claim one of the biggest scalps of her career.
"To beat the number 14 is a big win, I've only had three or four top 20 wins so this is a big win for me," Pironkova told reporters.
Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn, seeded eighth, also crashed out in the first round, losing 7-5 7-5 to Czech Iveta Benesova while Ukraine's seventh seed Alona Bondarenko survived a scare to beat Romania's Monica Niculescu 6-4 2-6 6-2.
(Reporting by Julian Linden. Editing by Nick Mulvenney)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital |
- Analysis - Financial market storm brewing as 2014 winds down
- UPDATE 6-Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
- New EU executive runs into trouble in parliament
- Pennsylvania's Catholic bishops forbid boys to wrestle girls