FACTBOX- Developments in Gaza fighting on January 13
(Reuters) - Following are developments in the fighting in the Gaza Strip as of 8:15 p.m. British time:
(* Denotes new or updated items)
* WEST BANK - An Israeli settler opened fire at Palestinian stone throwers near the West Bank city of Qalqiliya, killing a 15-year-old boy, Palestinian security officials said. An Israeli police spokesman said an investigation had been launched.
* GAZA - An Israeli air strike targeting a car in the southern Gaza town of Rafah killed a Palestinian civilian, medical workers said.
* GAZA - The Palestinian death toll in the offensive since December 27 reached 971, the Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza said. The Health Minister of the Hamas-run government says close to 400 of those are women and children.
GAZA - An Israeli tank shell killed four Palestinian civilians in the southern Gaza Strip, medical workers said. Some 26 others were wounded.
HEBRON - Israeli troops near the West Bank city of Hebron shot a Palestinian who tried to steal a soldier's weapon, an army spokesman said. The man died of his wounds in hospital.
GAZA - Israeli forces killed five Palestinian fighters in the suburbs of the city of Gaza and another militant near the southern town of Khan Younis, medical workers said.
SOUTHERN ISRAEL - Palestinian militants fired at least 20 rockets and mortar bombs into southern Israel, the military said.
ISRAEL - Israel's death toll since the offensive began is 10 soldiers, while three civilians were killed in rocket and mortar fire from the Gaza Strip.
GAZA - Israeli planes bombed suspected weapons smuggling tunnels along the Gaza-Egypt border, local residents said.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Nearly 300 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes - coastguard
- Separatists fly Russian flag over Ukrainian armoured vehicles |
- Battle over Scottish independence slightly tightens in new poll
- Unemployment plunges to five-year low, pay grows
- Tesco to step up price cuts as CEO defies pressure to quit |