Sports | Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:16am GMT

Ballesteros says recovering well after chemotherapy

MADRID (Reuters) - Seve Ballesteros is recovering well following several operations on a brain tumour and has said results of tests last week after a first course of chemotherapy were quite good.

In a message posted on his website (www.seveballesteros.com), the Spanish five-times major winner said he would begin a second chemo course Friday, which he hoped would be as effective as the first.

"I am very motivated and working hard although I am aware that my recovery will be slow and therefore I need to be patient and have a lot of determination," the 51-year-old wrote.

"For these reasons I am following strictly all the instructions that the doctors are giving me.

"Besides, the physiotherapists are doing a great job on me and I feel better every day."

Ballesteros was taken to Madrid's La Paz hospital at the start of October after suffering from dizziness and briefly losing consciousness.

He was diagnosed with a tumour and had four operations. He was discharged from hospital in the second week of December.

Ballesteros retired from golf last year after winning 87 titles, including three British Opens and two U.S. Masters.

(Reporting by Iain Rogers; Editing by N.Ananthanarayanan)

X