Smith returns to Windies test squad
KINGSTON (Reuters) - Left-hander Devon Smith was recalled to the West Indies squad Friday for next month's first test against England while Barbados opener Dale Richards earned his first call-up.
Smith, who has opened the batting and filled in a lower middle order slot, was omitted from the recent tests in New Zealand but earned his latest recall thanks to a double century for the Winward Islands in a regional game against Guyana.
Richards, a late developer at 32, has shown consistent form in the regional competitions but will have caught the eye of the selectors with his century against Trinidad and Tobago.
There is no place in the squad for Guyana opening bat Sewnarine Chattergoon.
Seamer Lionel Baker, of Montserat, retains his place after debuting in the drawn test series in New Zealand.
Slow left-armer Sulieman Benn of Barbados and wrist spinner Amit Jaggernauth of Trinidad and Tobago are the two spinners named in the 14-man man squad which will be captained by Chris Gayle.
The four-test series against England starts on February 4 at Sabina Park in Kingston.
Squad: Chris Gayle (captain), Lionel Baker, Sulieman Benn, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Fidel Edwards, Amit Jaggernauth, Xavier Marshall, Brendan Nash, Daren Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Dale Richards, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Smith, Jerome Taylor.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Pistorius starts five-year term for killing Reeva Steenkamp |
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough |
- UPDATE 11-Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident - airport spokeswoman
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia