FACTBOX - Recent fatal airplane crashes in United States
(Reuters) - Since the September 11 hijacked airline attacks there have been four notable fatal air crashes involving U.S. airlines in the United States. All but one were commuter carriers.
Here are details of the crashes:
* November 2001 - American Airlines Flight 587, an Airbus A-300, crashed in the New York borough of Queens shortly after takeoff from Kennedy International Airport. All 260 people aboard and five on the ground were killed. Investigators said the co-pilot made inappropriate rudder movements that snapped off the plane's tail fin.
* January 8, 2003 - Air Midwest flight 5481, operating as a US Airways Express flight, crashed into a US Airways hangar and burst into flames shortly after leaving Charlotte/Douglas International Airport in North Carolina. All 19 passengers and two pilots were killed. The crash of the Beechcraft 1900 was blamed on a maintenance error combined with too much weight in the back of the aircraft.
* August 27, 2006 - A Comair commuter flight crashed shortly after taking off in Lexington, Kentucky, on a runway that was too short for the plane, killing all but one of the 50 people aboard.
* Feb 12, 2009 - Continental Connection Flight 3407, operated by Colgan Air, was travelling to Buffalo, New York from Newark, New Jersey when it crashed into a house near Buffalo airport and burst into flames, killing 49 people on board and one on the ground. Colgan, a unit of Pinnacle Airlines, said the plane was a Dash 8 Q400 made by Canada's Bombardier Inc. The 74-seat commuter plane went down in snowy weather.
(Compiled by Deborah Charles and John Crawley; Editing by David Storey)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Apple, Google agree to pay over $300 million to settle conspiracy lawsuit
- Brazilian Congress passes Internet bill of rights
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels, Russia starts drill near border |
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels; Russia starts drill near border |