Soccer-Maradona a grandfather thanks to Atletico's Aguero
MADRID Feb 19 (Reuters) - Diego Maradona became a grandfather on Thursday amid expectations the new arrival may one day follow in the Argentina great's footsteps.
Maradona's daughter Gianina gave birth in Madrid to son Benjamin, whose father is Argentina striker Sergio Aguero.
The Atletico Madrid player has often been likened to World Cup winner Maradona, who now manages the national team.
Maradona was in the Spanish capital for the birth of his first grandson, while Aguero, 20, missed Atletico's training session earlier in the day.
Atletico offered their congratulations in a statement on their official website (www.clubatleticodemadrid.com).
"During the afternoon of Thursday 19 February Benjamin was born in a Madrid hospital. The delivery went without problems and the mother and baby are in perfect condition," it said.
(Writing by Mark Elkington, editing by Ken Ferris)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Serbian fan killed in Istanbul Euroleague violence – consul
- UK troops in largest armoured deployment in Eastern Europe for six years
- Islamic State targeted in 30 air strikes by U.S., allies
- In class obsessed Britain, tweet of 'white van' man hits nerve
- Conservatives, states set to launch legal blitz against Obama over immigration