Brief-Tennis-Injured Sharapova to miss Rome and Madrid events
ROME, April 28
ROME, April 28 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova has pulled out of next month's Italian and Madrid Open tournaments as she has failed to fully recover from a shoulder injury, the WTA Tour said in a statement on Tuesday.
The Russian former world number one has not played a singles match since last August. She made a brief return to competition in the doubles at Indian Wells last month.
The injury prevented her from defending her Australian Open crown in January.
The Italian Open will be held from Monday while the Madrid tournament takes place a week later.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- UPDATE 2-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- Britain slams EU budget demand, others see 'molehills'
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- Doctor who worked in Africa first Ebola case in New York City |