Brief-Tennis-Injured Sharapova to miss Rome and Madrid events
ROME, April 28
ROME, April 28 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova has pulled out of next month's Italian and Madrid Open tournaments as she has failed to fully recover from a shoulder injury, the WTA Tour said in a statement on Tuesday.
The Russian former world number one has not played a singles match since last August. She made a brief return to competition in the doubles at Indian Wells last month.
The injury prevented her from defending her Australian Open crown in January.
The Italian Open will be held from Monday while the Madrid tournament takes place a week later.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Yazidis haunted by cries for help as militants bury victims alive
- Analysis - Financial market storm brewing as 2014 winds down
- Insight - Tesco's 250-million-pound black hole: Who was minding the shop?
- Hong Kong warns democracy protesters of firm response |
- Bank of England backs flagship government mortgage guarantee scheme