Brief-Tennis-Injured Sharapova to miss Rome and Madrid events
ROME, April 28
ROME, April 28 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova has pulled out of next month's Italian and Madrid Open tournaments as she has failed to fully recover from a shoulder injury, the WTA Tour said in a statement on Tuesday.
The Russian former world number one has not played a singles match since last August. She made a brief return to competition in the doubles at Indian Wells last month.
The injury prevented her from defending her Australian Open crown in January.
The Italian Open will be held from Monday while the Madrid tournament takes place a week later.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry sinking |
- Separatists take armoured vehicles, humiliating Ukraine forces |
- Battle over Scottish independence slightly tightens in new poll
- Ocean floor search for missing Malaysia plane cut short again |
- Tesco to step up price cuts as CEO defies pressure to quit |