Talks under way to revive "Reaper"
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Thought "Reaper" was dead?
Think again. Like some of the undead creatures on the show, the quirky CW comedy-drama is refusing to die.
Sources said show producer ABC Studios is in talks with CW affiliate stations about continuing "Reaper" as a syndicated series for Sunday night.
"Reaper" essentially has been canceled at the CW, but most stations are said to love the series starring Brett Harrison as the devil's bounty hunter. The show enjoys a devoted fan base.
So when the network decided to give Sunday night back to its affiliates last week, they started preliminary conversations with ABC Studios about possibly continuing the show with new episodes.
Sources said that ABC Studios also is exploring a possible afterlife for the cult series on cable.
Both scenarios are considered a longshot, with one major obstacle.
"Reaper" creators/executive producers Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters have moved on, recently signing a deal with 20th TV.
Beyond that, Tyler Labine, the actor who plays the show's sidekick, is set to star in the new Fox comedy series "Sons of Tucson." There are conflicting takes on whether he would be contractually obligated to "Reaper" if it changes formats from a network to a syndicated show. If he is brought back to "Reaper," that would be a major blow to the promising new Fox series.
Since its midseason return for a second season, "Reaper" has averaged about a 1.0 rating in the key 18-49 age group, ranking as the network's lowest-rated drama.
But with the current programing on Sundays averaging below a 0.5 in recent weeks, "Reaper" potentially could be a ratings improvement.
(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this