STATBOX-Rugby-British & Irish Lions v South Africa, first test
June 19 |
June 19 (Reuters) - Stats and figures ahead of Saturday's first test between South Africa and the British and Irish Lions in Durban.
* In 43 meetings against the Lions, South Africa lead the series 21-16, with six draws.
* South Africa and the Lions have met in Durban on three previous occasions. South Africa won in 1924 and 1962, with the Lions victorious in 1997.
* On nine previous occasions, the first test winners have gone on to take the series.
* The Lions' starting line-up includes 10 test debutants, those with previous Lions' experience are Brian O'Driscoll, Stephen Jones, Gethin Jenkins, Phil Vickery and captain Paul O'Connell.
* Irish trio Tommy Bowe, Jamie Heaslip and Rob Kearney have never faced the Springboks.
* Another Irishman, David Wallace, will follow in the footsteps of his elder brother Paul by playing against the world champions for the Lions in a test match.
* The Lions' starting line-up is made up of six Welshman, five Irishman and four English players. In the 22 those numbers increase to nine Welsh, eight Irish and five English.
Source: British and Irish Lions.
(Compiled by Neil Maidment, editing by Alison Wildey)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this