RALEIGH, North Carolina A U.S. judge denied bail on Wednesday to six North Carolina men accused of plotting terrorist attacks overseas.
William Webb ruled the men would be a flight risk and a danger to the public if they were released.
"The evidence is that weapons were stockpiled, 27,000 rounds of ammunition including tracer rounds," Webb said, according to the Raleigh News and Observer. "While there has been a lot of evidence and argument about jihad and violent jihad, this case is about a conspiracy of terrorism."
A decision on bail for a seventh suspect was delayed because his attorney withdrew, the newspaper said. An eighth man charged in the case is believed to be in Pakistan.
The ruling followed a bail hearing in Raleigh at which prosecutors played FBI recordings as evidence that the seven men discussed waging "jihad" as part of a conspiracy to conduct attacks in foreign nations.
The eight were indicted last month on charges of conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists and conspiracy to murder, kidnap, maim and injure people overseas.
The alleged ringleader, Daniel Patrick Boyd, and others also face weapons charges.
Shortly after the men were arrested, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder warned of the increased "radicalization" of Americans in recent months. Seven of the eight accused are U.S. citizens and the other is a legal resident.
The United States has been on heightened security alert since the September 11 attacks in 2001 and authorities have publicized efforts to crush domestic terrorist cells before they have a chance to act.
Prosecutors said Boyd trained in terrorist camps in Pakistan and Afghanistan from 1989 to 1992, and fought against the Soviets in Afghanistan.
On FBI wiretaps played in court, prosecutors said, Boyd discussed engaging in "jihad," an Arabic word that means "struggle" and often has a spiritual meaning, but in Western countries is taken to mean "holy war."
"Allah knows I love jihad," said a voice that prosecutors identified as that of Boyd.
The indictment alleges Boyd and others traveled to Gaza, Israel, Jordan, Pakistan and Kosovo to plan or engage in attacks. Rifles and pistols were found at Boyd's house, prosecutors said.
Webb denied bail to Boyd, his two sons Zakariya Boyd and Dylan Boyd, Hysen Sherifi, Mohammad Omar Aly Hassan and Ziyad Yaghi.
A decision on bail for Anes Subasic was delayed because his attorney withdrew and a court interpreter had to be dismissed due to a conflict of interest. The eighth suspect, Jude Kenan Mohammad, is at large.