- Actor James Gandolfini, star of 'The Sopranos,' dies in Italy
- British Supreme Court ruling threatens Western sanctions against Iran
- Britain to start sale of Lloyds soon, review RBS split |
- US STOCKS-Wall St drops after Bernanke hints at slowing stimulus
- Italian designers Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
Sarkozy proposes November climate meeting
UNITED NATIONS |
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - French President Nicolas Sarkozy on Tuesday proposed that heads of state from major economies meet in November to discuss the climate change agenda ahead of December's climate summit in Copenhagen.
"Considering how complex this negotiation is, a new summit before Copenhagen is needed," Sarkozy told a U.N. climate meeting in New York.
Sarkozy said the proposed November meeting would allow the world's biggest emitters "to make clearer commitments to ensure Copenhagen's success," according to the text of his prepared remarks.
The Copenhagen meeting is aimed at negotiating a broader climate pact to replace the U.N.'s Kyoto Protocol.
(Reporting by Jeff Mason, Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this