BRIEF-Tennis-Dokic to play Hobart as warmup to Australian Open
MELBOURNE Nov 27 (Reuters) - Former world number four Jelena Dokic will play at the Hobart International as she fine tunes her preparations for next year's Australian Open, organisers said on Friday.
Dokic, 26, who had previously battled weight problems and a crisis of confidence, beat three seeded players on her way to the quarter-finals of this year's Australian Open.
"She captured the hearts of all tennis fans at the Australian Open in January and hopefully she can continue her form in the main draw here and get her 2010 season off to a winning start," Hobart tournament director Michael Roberts said in a statement.
The Hobart tournament runs from Jan. 8-16, with the Australian Open beginning on Jan. 18.
(Writing by Greg Stutchbury in Wellington; Editing by Patrick Johnston; To query or comment on this story email email@example.com) ((firstname.lastname@example.org; +64 4 471 4236; Reuters Messaging: email@example.com. For the new Reuters sports blog Left Field go to: blogs.reuters.com/sport/))
Please double-click on the newslink:
[TENN-LEN] for more tennis stories
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco scraps profit outlook as accounting black hole deepens
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- Canada PM vows crackdown after capital shocked by fatal attacks |
- UKIP on course to win second parliamentary seat - poll