BRIEF-Tennis-No place like home for Clijsters
ANTWERP, Belgium Dec 9 (Reuters) - Playing in the U.S. Open final is no match for beating Venus Williams on home soil, U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters said after she beat the American in an exhibition tournament on Wednesday.
Belgian Clijsters, playing her first competitive match in her home country since returning to the game this year, beat the world number six 6-1 7-5 at the Diamond Games exhibition match in Antwerp in front of a sell-out 14,000 crowd.
"It is always a special feeling to be playing before a packed Sportpaleis (in Antwerp)," Clijsters said. "No U.S. Open final can beat that. It's truly amazing."
(Writing by Darren Ennis; Editing by Greg Stutchbury; To query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Rebound in FTSE halted by drop in BT and commodity stocks
- Ukraine gas supplies in doubt as Russia seeks EU payment deal
- Maine nurse fights Ebola quarantine, says will not be bullied |
- Kurdish convoy heads to Syria to take on Islamic State |
- For 23rd time, U.N. nations urge end to U.S. embargo on Cuba |