BRIEF-Tennis-No place like home for Clijsters
ANTWERP, Belgium Dec 9 (Reuters) - Playing in the U.S. Open final is no match for beating Venus Williams on home soil, U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters said after she beat the American in an exhibition tournament on Wednesday.
Belgian Clijsters, playing her first competitive match in her home country since returning to the game this year, beat the world number six 6-1 7-5 at the Diamond Games exhibition match in Antwerp in front of a sell-out 14,000 crowd.
"It is always a special feeling to be playing before a packed Sportpaleis (in Antwerp)," Clijsters said. "No U.S. Open final can beat that. It's truly amazing."
(Writing by Darren Ennis; Editing by Greg Stutchbury; To query or comment on this story email email@example.com)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Apple, Google agree to pay over $300 million to settle conspiracy lawsuit
- Brazilian Congress passes Internet bill of rights
- Moyes left all at sea by scale of United job, says former coach
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels; Russia starts drill near border |