BRIEF-Tennis-No place like home for Clijsters
ANTWERP, Belgium Dec 9 (Reuters) - Playing in the U.S. Open final is no match for beating Venus Williams on home soil, U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters said after she beat the American in an exhibition tournament on Wednesday.
Belgian Clijsters, playing her first competitive match in her home country since returning to the game this year, beat the world number six 6-1 7-5 at the Diamond Games exhibition match in Antwerp in front of a sell-out 14,000 crowd.
"It is always a special feeling to be playing before a packed Sportpaleis (in Antwerp)," Clijsters said. "No U.S. Open final can beat that. It's truly amazing."
(Writing by Darren Ennis; Editing by Greg Stutchbury; To query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ten countries scour sea for Malaysia jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Shots fired in air during raid at Crimea naval base |
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report