BRIEF-Tennis-No place like home for Clijsters
ANTWERP, Belgium Dec 9 (Reuters) - Playing in the U.S. Open final is no match for beating Venus Williams on home soil, U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters said after she beat the American in an exhibition tournament on Wednesday.
Belgian Clijsters, playing her first competitive match in her home country since returning to the game this year, beat the world number six 6-1 7-5 at the Diamond Games exhibition match in Antwerp in front of a sell-out 14,000 crowd.
"It is always a special feeling to be playing before a packed Sportpaleis (in Antwerp)," Clijsters said. "No U.S. Open final can beat that. It's truly amazing."
(Writing by Darren Ennis; Editing by Greg Stutchbury; To query or comment on this story email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Over 100 Russian soldiers killed in single Ukraine battle - Russian rights activists
- Scotland's pro-independence campaign gains on final TV debate - poll
- Russia says military planning will take account of NATO moves on borders
- Analysis - Bitcoin shows staying power as online merchants chase digital sparkle
- Ukraine president accuses Russian soldiers of backing rebel thrust |