Italy limits public access to embassy in Yemen

Mon Jan 4, 2010 2:28pm GMT

ROME Jan 4 (Reuters) - Italy has limited public access to its embassy in Yemen due to concerns over possible militant attacks, the Italian ambassador said on Monday.

"For today, we have limited public access: only people with an appointment can enter," Ambassador Mario Boffo told Reuters by telephone from the Yemeni capital Sanaa. He said the decision had been taken in coordination with other European embassies.

"If things remain as they are, then tomorrow or the day after we will return to normality," he said. The United States, France and Britain have already announced that they have closed their embassies in Sanaa because of security fears. (Reporting by Massimiliano Di Giorgio)



Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.